Hotels in Paraparaumu, New Zealand
- Use filters to find your ideal accommodation
- Compare prices, reviews, photos and hotel info
- Book at the ideal price!
Paraparaumu, the Heart of the Kapiti Coast
Often thought of as a dormitory for those commuting into New Zealand's capital, it would be all too easy to write-off Paraparaumu as a sleepy satellite of Wellington. But though it might be small in size, this blink-and-you'll-miss-it town actually offers a wealth of attractions. Nature – whether land or sea – will be at the very forefront of your itinerary, but with activities like island hopping, golfing and gourmet markets all close to hand, petite Paraparaumu offers something for all visitors. Whether you're an adrenaline junky or a beach bum, this pint-size town is sure to keep you busy.
Orientation and Layout
Located on the south west curve of New Zealand's North Island, Paraparaumu is set in the heart of the country's Kapiti Coast area. Backed to the east by Tararua Forest Park with its imposing Mitre and to the west by the bulk of Kapiti Island, the town occupies a slim stretch of coast just north of the Akatarawa Forest. Parapauraumu boasts two seaside areas; both the town's eponymously named beach – which features a weekly gourmet food market – as well as Raumati Beach offer travellers excellent opportunities for seaside strolls. Those arriving into Paraparaumu by car will note that New Zealand's State Highway 1 passes directly through the town and serves as one of its main thoroughfares. However, those looking for accommodation and dining venues will find that the bulk of Paraparaumu's hotels and restaurants are dotted between the coast and Highway 1 as well as Main Road, the town's other major thoroughfare.
Exploring Land and Sea in Para-Param
Affectionately referred to by locals as 'Para-Param' or 'Pram', central Paraparaumu offers outdoor enthusiasts plenty to do. Golfers will find that Pram boasts no less than three fairways, one of which features an undulating green terminating in dramatic sea views. Cyclists can explore the town's coastline by the Waikanae cycleway, but for those after something a bit more adventurous, there are numerous 4x4 adventure tour operators dotted throughout town. While these vendors specialise in off-road, four-wheel drive and all-terrain vehicle excursions, for a truly different experience, you can even hover over Pram in a helicopter. But the town itself is dominated by views of nearby Kapiti Island, which lies just over three miles from Pram across the Rauoterangi Channel. Multiple ferry operators run tours from the mainland across to this nature reserve, which is now a birdwatcher's delight. Once disembarked, guests can explore the island, spotting multiple rare bird species like kiwi and takahe .
Mountain Tramps and River Walks
The environs of Paraparaumu offer outward-bound travellers excellent tramping opportunities. Located approximately a 30-minute drive east of central Pram, Tararua Forest Park is home to the Tararua Range. Laced with paths, intrepid mountaineers can challenge themselves on the Southern Crossing, a trail that begins just west of town at Otaki, taking in snow-capped Mount Hector before finally winding south towards Kaitoke. Those tramping on east to west routes will note the marked difference in vegetation as they traverse the reserve; thanks to wet winds coming off of the Cook Straits, the west side of the park is composed of a lush forest of conifers and ferns. The eastern slopes, in contrast, feature a drier, more prairie-like environment. But if full-on mountain tramps just aren’t your thing; no worries. Follow the course of the Otaki River just off of Highway 1 on the outskirts of town for a gentle stroll and more outstanding scenery.
Restaurants and Hotels in Paraparaumu
If all of Paraparaumu’s fresh air has made you ravenous, then you’re in luck; for a small place, the town boasts a wealth of flavours. There are three distinct restaurant hot-spots in Pram. Along the Main Road area, visitors will find a mix of pubs, independent cafés, chain franchises and South Asian eateries. Heading onto nearby Kapiti Road, options from the Eastern hemisphere dominate; this is the place for Thai noodles, meaty kebabs and more subcontinental fare. But if you like your meals with sea views, head towards Paraparaumu Beach – specifically the Marine Parade area – to choose from a host of fish restaurants and cafés. Just as with its eateries, sleeping accommodation in Paraparaumu can be found in a couple of distinct areas. The Main Road offers a handful of choices, but those after something more visually striking should make for the coast. In particular, the hotels around the Paraparaumu Beach area are known for their sea views.
Price rangefrom NZ$64to NZ$767
- Hotel Wrights by The Seadeals from NZ$129
- Hotel Copperfield Seaside Moteldeals from NZ$90
- Hotel Kapiti Lindaledeals from NZ$122
- Hotel Top Floor Bed And Breakfastdeals from NZ$169
- Hotel Apartment 4Adeals from NZ$192
- Hotel Relaxing Modern Cottage - Centrally Locateddeals from NZ$9
More Top Hotels
- Tudor Manor
- Matai Huka Boutique Accommodation
- Ariki Lodge
- Classic Kiwi Bach Retreat
- Elliott's Kapiti Coast
- Classic 50s Seaside Bach With Tennis Court
- Asure Kapiti Court
- Kapiti Gateway
- Seaside House - Waikanae Beach Bach
- Olde Beach Villa
- Olde Beach Hideaway Waikanae Beach Holiday Home
- Nikau Loft
- Paraparaumu Motel
- Relax In Sunshine
- Holiday On Henare, Olde Beach Waikanae.
- Beach Bach - Handy To Everything
- Blossoms Retreat - Luxury And Romance
- Wharemauku Retreat Raumati
- Homely Cottage Near The Beach
- The Blue Triangle - Two Storey Sunny Bach
- Architecturally Renovated Bach
- Wharehui - Raumati Beach
- Absolute Beachfront Te Horo Beach Kapiti Coast
- Secluded Self-contained Cottage In The Country
- Warm, Uniquely Designed Rural Lodge.
- Escape In Manu - Enjoy The Best Of The Kapiti Coast
- Blair Holiday Home, Waikanae Beach
- Guesthouse By The Sea...
- Elevated Beach House With Stunning Views
- Kapiti Island And Beachfront Views
- Cosy Townhouse Close To Paraparumu Beach Village
- Hotels in Wellington 1083 Hotels deals from NZ$23
- Hotels in Auckland 7146 Hotels deals from NZ$20
- Hotels in New Zealand 57066 Hotels deals from NZ$15
- Hotels in Lower Hutt 241 Hotels deals from NZ$67
- Hotels in Masterton 116 Hotels deals from NZ$91
- Hotels in Martinborough 343 Hotels deals from NZ$71
More Top Destinations
- Upper Hutt
- Wellington Region
- Palmerston North
- New Plymouth
- Hanmer Springs
- Mount Maunganui
- Bay of Islands
- Nelson Region
- Coromandel Town